Behind the Design:
10 Things to Know About Vondom
Founded on the premise of changing what “outdoor furniture” really means, Spain’s Vondom fosters a
way of design exploration that has created an avant-garde collection of indoor-outdoor masterpieces.
Written by Nate Sverlow
Vondom is unlike any brand you’ve seen before, producing glamorous, trend-setting furnishings and lighting out of recyclable materials. Since their inception in 2006, they have collaborated with over 15 designers, merging their different collections into a “Design Culture” that’s not just comfortable and captivating, but also fun. Here are 10 things you may not know about the brand.
1. Vondom began by producing high quality roto-molded planters. Roto— or rotational molding is when two parts of a mold are sprinkled with polyethylene pellets and then rotated in an oven for approximately 90 minutes until cured. The very first family of planters produced was named Maceta (Spanish for “flower pot”), which was a modern take on the classic terracotta.
2. That collection has grown in a short time, and now includes Vondom now produces roto-molded furniture, lluminated planters, illuminated furniture, outdoor rugs and lighting.
3. 100% of Vondom products are recyclable. The impact on the environment is a driving pulse behind everything the company does.
4. In fact, Vondom’s environmental considerations aren’t limited to product design. Their business operations went completely paperless in 2016.
5. Vondom designers experiment with new products in what they call “a petri-dish environment,” meaning they can freely explore new ideas showcase them at the two biggest international design events: Maison Objet in Paris and Salone del Mobile in Milan.
6. In fact, this “design culture” is what the company credits for its success. It’s a way of design that creates a springboard for emerging designers and allows for ingenuity in design, environmental consciousness and collaboration.
7. Materials are also a part of that design culture. Plastic, aluminum, glass and steel are just a few forms of expression for Vondom designs.
8. Vondom has collaborated with more than 15 designers, including Karim Rashid and Ramon Esteve. Collaborators have decades of cumulative experience in product design, engineering, and ergonomics. Coming soon will be another exciting partnership: Marcel Wanders.
9. They’re ahead of the curve. Vondom isn’t lured by trends to create its catalog of designs. They’re known for setting a trend—and then moving on.
10. Vondom has expanded on some of their most beloved collections, including Vela, Faz and Kes. They’ve also introduced the Brooklyn Collection, a line of arm and armless dining chairs that emulate New York City’s most iconic bridges.