Due to its unique shape, the Fritz Hansen PK9 Chair is also known as the Tulip Chair. The base is made out of three curving bands of steel, which come up to meet an equally curvaceous seat (modelled on the behind of Hanne Kjaerholm, designer Poul Kjaerholm's wife). The polyester seat shell is upholstered entirely in soft, smooth leather.
Established in 1872 in Copenhagen, Fritz Hansen has since come to epitomize the mid-century Danish Modern aesthetic. Blending craftsmanship with innovation, Fritz Hansen is particularly well-noted for their laminated and molded wood veneer furniture. Pieces from Vico Magistretti, Piero Lissoni and, especially, Arne Jacobsen have become icons of modern furniture design.
The PK9 Chair is available with the following:
- Fully upholstered in leather
- Pressure-molded, fiber-reinforced polyester seat shell
- Stainless steel base
- Satin Brushed finish
- Made in Denmark
- Designed by Poul Kjaerholm, 1960
Black Brown Classic Leather
Black Classic Leather
Black Elegance Leather
Cognac Classic Leather
Indian Red Elegance Leather
Optical White Leather
Walnut Elegance Leather
- Item: Height 29.9", Width 22", Depth 23.6"
- Seat: Height 16.9"
- Fritz Hansen is dedicated to preserving the legacy of their original furniture designs. To this end, all authentic Fritz Hansen products come with a label that has a unique ID number, the name of the designer, the year of manufacture and origin. A personally signed certificate is also included, showing that the piece has gone through Fritz Hansen's premium quality check.
Need help with some of our terminology? Check out Lumens' Lighting & Design Glossary.