Made for the French artist, Louis Carre, who focused on abstract art, the Artek A809 Floor Lamp was designed to illuminate Carre's living room (Alvar Aalto 1956-1958). Three hand-riveted, louvered steel shades are controlled with independent pull cords, and the base and column are covered in Black leather. The varied shades allow for a unique lightscape as light funnels through larger and smaller holes.
Founded in Finland in 1935 by four self-proclaimed idealists, Artek stands strong on the company's ethics, product aesthetics and ecology. With products that offer the Scandinavian look--clean lines, minimal fluff--Artek has built a line that incorporates a modern, approachable appeal into modern furniture and lighting design.
The A809 Floor Lamp is available with the following:
- 3 White louvered steel shades
- Base and stand covered with black leather
- 97.2" plastic cable
- Designed by Alvar Aalto, 1959
Black and Polished Brass,
Black and Polished Nickel
- Three 100 Watt 120 Volt Type E27 Incandescent lamps (not included) or three 20 Watt 120 Volt Type E27 Compact Fluorescent lamps (not included).
- Fixture: Height 66.1", Width 22.4"
Need help with some of our terminology? Check out Lumens' Lighting & Design Glossary.