What are my light bulb options?
People have long loved the warm, flame-like color of the incandescent bulb. Luckily, there are three alternatives to recreating such light in an energy-efficient way: incandescent halogen, compact fluorescent and LED.
Halogen: Energy efficient and warm (incandescent!) light. Halogen bulbs are actually incandescent lighting with their energy savings kick up a couple notches.
- Efficiency: At least 25% more efficient than standard incandescent
- Dimmable: Fully dimmable, just like standard incandescents
- Light Appearance: Bright white light and good color rendering
- Average Life: 1,000 hours (standard medium base)
- Suggested Uses: Great for bright downlighting: task, accent, undercabinet and mini pendants
Like Halogen, Xenon and Krypton bulbs are also energy efficient incandescent bulbs. Xenon doesn't get as hot as Halogen, and can be a better option in tight or enclosed lighting fixtures.
Fluorescent and Compact Fluorescent: These energy efficient bulbs have come a long way. Today, they are available in a wide variety of types, and have improved accuracy in how they render color, so everything looks more natural and alive.
- Efficiency: About 75% more efficient than standard incandescent
- Dimmable: Not always dimmable (check the bulb's label)
- Light Appearance: Wide variety of light colors and improved color rendering (often above 80 CRI)
- Average Life: 8,000 hours (standard medium base)
- Suggested Uses: Great for indoor home lighting (portables, recessed, kitchen) and commercial spaces
LED: Long-lasting, eco-friendly and super energy efficient...what's not to love? LED bulbs are fast becoming the coolest light bulb of them all--literally, as they emit almost no heat and they thrive in cold locations.
- Efficiency: At least 75% more efficient than standard incandescent
- Dimmable: Dimmable options and LED-compatible dimmers available
- Light Appearance: Wide variety of light colors and high color rendering (80-90 CRI)
- Average Life: 25,000 plus hours (standard medium base)
- Suggested Uses: Great for outdoor, landscape, recessed, task and decorative lighting
Light Bulb FAQs
You may also be interested in:
LED Lighting Buyer's Guide
Get answers to the most common questions about making the simple switch to LED in your home.READ MORE
We love this alluring-yet-unfussy look that puts the functional light bulb on display.SHOP EXPOSED BULB LIGHTING
No matter your style, the early-electric look of restoration lighting is industrially chic.SHOP RESTORATION LIGHTING
Decorative and specialty bulbs go to show that light bulbs can be much more than strictly functional.SHOP LIGHT BULBS