Choosing the Right Ceiling Fan Size
Ceiling fans come in a wide range of blade spans, from small mini fans with a blade span of 18 inches up to large ceiling fans with a 68 inch blade span...and beyond. Choosing the right ceiling fan size will optimize the fan's efficiency and make the fan look right at home in the space.
What Ceiling Fan Size Do I Need?
Ceiling fans are measured by the full size of their blade span (also called blade sweep), which is the diameter of the circle that you see when the fan blades are in motion. Or, in other words, fan blade span reaches from the tip of one fan blade to the tip of the blade directly across.
Most ceiling fans sizes are also determined by the room they will be placed in. For example, a kitchen ceiling fan will be much smaller in blade diameter and length than a ceiling fan for the living room. Use the ceiling fan size chart below to get the best idea of what size you need. As always, make sure you properly measure the area where you will be placing your fan to make the best purchase decision.
Ceiling Fan Size Guide
|Blade Span||Good for||Room Size|
|29" to 36"||Bathrooms, Breakfast Nooks, Utility Rooms||Up to 75 sq.ft.|
|42" to 48"||Bedrooms, Kitchens, Dining Rooms||Up to 175 sq.ft.|
|52" to 56"||Large Bedrooms, Family Rooms, Media Rooms||Up to 350 sq.ft.|
|60" or larger||Great Rooms, Other Large Spaces||More than 350 sq.ft.|
Choosing a Ceiling Fan & FAQ
- Choosing the Right Ceiling Fan Size
- Choosing Ceiling Fans by Room
- Using Ceiling Fans in Summer & Winter
- Ceiling Fan Installation Options
- Energy Star Qualified Ceiling Fans
- Using a Ceiling Fan On a Sloped Ceiling
- The Difference Between 4 & 5 Blade Fans
- What is Blade Pitch & Why is it Important
- Why Buy a Remote for Your Ceiling Fan
- When to Buy a Ceiling Fan Light Kit
- CFM & Airflow Efficiency
- Choosing An Outdoor Fan