Why Buy a Remote for Your Ceiling Fan?
Whether you buy a ceiling fan that comes with a remote or you buy a compatible remote for your existing fan will likely depend on your high ceiling height or need for convenience.
- High Ceilings. In some instances, such as when a ceiling fan is mounted on high ceilings, a remote control is the only realistic means of control. In that case, the answer to getting a remote control would be a resounding, "yes."
- Convenience: When fan location is not an issue, the main advantage of a remote control is one of convenience. You can control a ceiling fan’s speed, direction and lighting (if included) without having to get up and manually pull chains or flip switches.
Types of Fan Remotes
There are 3 basic control types available for ceiling fans, each with different benefits.
- Handheld Remote: With a handheld remote, a ceiling fan can be controlled from any location within the remote control's range.
- Wall Control: With a wall control, you'll still have to get up and go to the control. However, it doesn't have the potential to get lost and can be installed as easily as a light switch.
- Handheld/Wall Combo: Combines the convenience of both wall and handheld controls, with a wall-mounted holder supplied to hold a portable, handheld unit.
Add-On Remotes May Require Installation
Unfortunately, adding a remote to an already installed fan is not usually as simple as putting batteries in the remote control. The receiver for handheld remotes and some wall-mounted controls often needs to be installed inside the fan. This process may require that part of the fan be taken apart and then put back together after the receiver has been added.
Choosing a Ceiling Fan & FAQ
- Choosing the Right Ceiling Fan Size
- Using Ceiling Fans in Summer & Winter
- Ceiling Fan Installation Options
- Energy Star Qualified Ceiling Fans
- Using a Ceiling Fan On a Sloped Ceiling
- The Difference Between 4 & 5 Blade Fans
- What is Blade Pitch & Why is it Important
- Why Buy a Remote for Your Ceiling Fan
- When to Buy a Ceiling Fan Light Kit